College Admission Essays: Ease the Anxiety with These Pointers
Perhaps the most stressful part of the nerve-racking college admissions process proves to be the college application essay. Once students due diligent research on universities and decide upon their top school choices, most of the admissions process simply involves gathering paperwork and filling in blanks. Although these tasks may be time consuming, they are clearly delineated and involve following explicit directions without much room for choice.
However, the open-ended college application essay prompt looms large as students face the daunting task of rendering themselves worthy on a single sheet of paper while writing to impress with personality, flair and intelligence.
Here are some pointers to help you create a winning college admissions application essay without anxiety:
- Cover One Subject Thoroughly: Focus on one aspect of your journey, one compelling highlight, or one accomplishment. Since space is limited, don’t try to cover everything you have done in one or two pages. Rather than jump from topic to topic and pack it all into one piece, use the space allowed to provide ample detail focused on one aspect of your life. Create a lively snapshot with specific, vivid details that make you shine. Remember, the essay is one piece of the puzzle that, when pieces are joined, creates the whole picture of you. Keep the reader interested and wanting to know more.
- Limit Your Words: Writing beyond the maximum word count indicated is not impressive and will not yield results. Put yourself in the shoes of the admissions staff who have to read thousands of essays at a clip. Choose your words and edit your piece carefully to rid your essay of repetition, ineffective word choices, and off-topic asides. Stick to the point.
- Don’t Lie: Paint an accurate picture of your accomplishments, achievements, and positions held. Insincerity and exaggeration can be spotted a mile away by experienced admissions staff.
- Be You! Shine like the star that you are! Make sure your personality, attributes and voice come through loud and clear. Create a story that showcases your individuality and personal point of view. This is the entire purpose of the essay, as opposed to the rest of the applications process. Don’t be afraid to express a personal belief or opinion, as long as it is presented respectfully, with support, and with acknowledgement of the other side’s perspective.
- Proofread Your Work: Check, double check, and triple check your grammar, word usage, punctuation, spelling, and sentence construction. Have a second set of eyes you trust read through your essay. Sloppy work and errors will not get you far.
For assistance with editing and proofreading your college application essays, contact All About Writing today. Can’t seem to get started? Struggling with the essay writing process? All About Writing also offers one-on-one tutoring/ brainstorming sessions to get the ball rolling. Let our expertise simplify the process and assist you with realizing your goal. Remember, with All About Writing, writing help is just a call or click away!